Thursday, May 17, 2007

Ono grinds

I've been keeping pretty busy lately between work, classes, and looking for a second job. I got 4 days off between the spring & summer semester (including the weekend). It was nice, but not much of a vacation.

In other news, our household has not been lacking for delicious food. Sushi is pretty popular in Hawaii: there are two sushi places downtown, and one down in Prince Kuhio Plaza. All of them are usually packed. Fortunately for me, S. has been making sushi as a hobby for the last few years. Here's one of several sushi feasts that S. has made over the last month or two. The bowl of green stuff in the background is some wakame (a type of seaweed) salad. These sushi rolls included: carrots, eel, avocado, clover sprouts, cucumber, spicy clams, cream cheese, spicy tuna, surimi, and asparagus. The sashimi on the foremost plate is eel. J. and I would've preferred more vegetables, I think, but coordinating the preparation of just ten different ingredients is challenging enough. Also, it's hard to argue with anything this delicious.

On the breakfast front, I'm a big fan of pancakes. I've been trying to make some tasty banana-and-chocolate-chip pancakes for about a week now, but someone keeps eating my bananas. Last week I made some pancakes with some purple ‘uala (Hawaiian sweet potatoes) added. They were some good-looking purple pancakes... then I added some baking powder. The result was what you see here: bright green pancake batter. Fascinating. And tasty, yes. It might look nauseating, but I even managed to get J. to eat one, and she is not someone I think of as an adventurous eater.

I really love these purple sweet potatoes. It just brightens up my day a little bit every time I get to eat something purple.

Well, now I'm hungry, so that's all for this post. Maybe next time I'll write about something other than culinary adventures. Until then...

No comments: