Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Life's a Beach

I just want to clear up a little misconception that seems pretty common. When I say, "Oh, yeah, we went to the beach last weekend," or "I had a good time at the beach," I suspect people envision something like Waikiki Beach on Oahu, right? Sure does look nice. I have yet to visit a beach on the Big Island that actually looks like that. Here, most of the beaches are a bit more like beaches in Maine - more rocks than sand, really.














Now, you might be saying, "Oh, come on now, you're still at the beach! How bad could it be?" And you'd be right. It's great. I'm not complaining; I just wanted to make sure you guys were imagining something vaguely similar to the places I'm talking about. I'll leave you with a picture of one of the sea turtles we were hanging out with last weekend. It's quite startling to be snorkeling along, turn, and see a turtle the size of a large dog calmly floating past, not five feet from your head. One of these days, maybe I'll get a picture of one of the elusive mongooses.




Bye for now!

1 comment:

Sandy said...

are you sure it's not Mongeese? Well firefox thinks it's Mongooses. So you're probably right.