Friday, August 31, 2007

Retraction

Sigh.

I've told several people, since moving here, that there are no snakes in Hawaii. Apparently, I was technically incorrect.

That page, as well as others on the internet, will happily tell you that "no snakes in Hawaii" is a myth, because there is one species of snake that's managed to make it here. It goes by many names, including the "island blind snake". And it ranges in size from 2 - 6 inches. That's right, it's the size of an earthworm. It also lives underground, like an earthworm, feeding on ants (unlike an earthworm). It's a common creature in many parts of the world.

Well, okay. It might be a snake in the sense that it has some traits that classify it in the snake class... but it's not a snake in the sense that it's not dangerous, or even scary, and oh right: it's so small that it looks like a WORM.

I might have been wrong, but I'm not apologizing. :)

No comments: