Friday, January 18, 2008

Post-emptive sabbatical announcement

Well, it's been about six months since my last update here. It doesn't feel that long. This past semester flew by, and I stayed pretty busy between my classes and jobs. I hesitate to say that it's been fulfilling (It can be hard to find an environment in life that fulfills all your needs), but I'm having a good time.

Currently I'm facing a decision about what degree(s) I want to pursue. From a long-term perspective, it's not a terribly important decision, but it's given me pause. From what I'm told, the Computer Science degree I've been working towards will take another two and a half years of work to finish. Now, I've already invested five and a half years of work (mostly part-time), and I'm only 15 credits from the minimum graduation requirements. I'll be done with that this semester, and so a shortcut - any shortcut - is looking awfully tempting. I can think of a lot of things I'd rather spend a year and a half doing than going to school. As a result, I'm thinking about dropping this CS major for the Linguistics major I've also been working on. It'd be abandoning a tedious degree with an obvious career attached for an easier degree with much less promise. Normally I'd pick the harder choice every time, but... I feel like I've been on a tough path for a long time now. I'm soliciting advice, though, so if you feel like offering your opinion, feel free to call or email me.

In other news, I've been adding more hats to my plate recently. Along with the three part-time jobs and six classes this semester, I just started providing tech support to one small local business, and I'm starting work on another web design project for a client. There's more haberdashery in the works, but nothing solid yet. I'll try to keep you posted on any developments.

Oh! Look at that, I'm another year older.

No comments: